The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) instituted the “Italian Bilateral Scientific Cooperation Award” in the year 2018 to recognize an Italian experienced scientist who, in performing his/her research abroad, has made a remarkable contribution to the advancement of science and technology, thus improving Italy’s S&T relations with foreign countries and with International Organizations.
The award will be assigned during the Italian Scientific Attachés Conference in Italy to be held in Rome next November 2020. All fields of science and technology are included under this award. The award consists of an engraved medal and a certificate of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
– The “Italian Bilateral Scientific Cooperation Award” is granted to Italian scientists who have given an outstanding contribution in the field of science and technology and in the field of the advancement of scientific cooperation, through their activity in one of the following countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Jordan, Great Britain, India, Israel, Lithuania, Mexico, Norway, The Netherlands, Republic of Korea, The Republic of Singapore,Russian Federation, Serbia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, USA and Vietnam.
– The nominee should be resident in the country where they are nominated for the award, at least since January 1st 2017.
– A nomination should be provided by a senior scientist who is holding a leading position in a Scientific Academy, University, Research Institute or S&T Department of the Government of the Country in which the nominee is working.
– The nominee should be an established researcher with 3-7 years of experience since completion of PhD and a scientific track record as well as research activities, showing great promise, in collaboration with the scientists from the above-mentioned Countries in which she/he lives and works.. Research in multilateral organizations hosted in the above-mentioned Countries will be considered as well.
– Age limit: 35 years old or below at the time of publication of this notice
The award will be granted without any restriction of sex, race or religion.
Evaluation Criteria and Mode of Selection
Nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria:
– The scientific impact of the applicant’s work and research
– Relevance of the applicant’s work to Italy’s S&T cooperation with the above-mentioned Countries
– Potential for significant, long-term collaboration
– Applicant’s contribution to creative/innovative collaboration models
– Applicant’s efficient and innovative use of research infrastructures
– Applicant’s capacity to keep contacts with the Italian research community. 
The Award Committee, chaired by the Director for Innovation and Research of the Directorate General for Cultural and Economic Promotion and Innovation of MAECI, Mr Fabrizio Nicoletti, will be composed by Presidents of the major Italian Research and Academic Institutions.
The Award Committee will select the winner of the Award by the end of October 2020
The winner of the Italian Bilateral Cooperation Award will be awarded during a Ceremony at the MAECI next November 2020 at the presence of the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, the Minister of University and Research and the Minister of Innovation.
How to Apply
>> Click HERE to download the Nomination Form
 i.e. promotion of young researchers mobility (incoming/outgoing); building bilateral research teams